The horrific mauling happened earlier this week while the Brit was swimming at Buchan Point, near Little Bay in Sydney.
The victim of a fatal shark attack in Sydney — the city’s first in nearly 60 years — has been identified as Simon Nellist. Simon Nellist, a 35-year-old diving instructor, was training for an upcoming charity swim event at the time of the attack on Wednesday afternoon local time, reported the BBC.
New South Wales police said in a previous statement that they arrived at Buchan Point, an area located near Little Bay Beach, just after 4:30 p.m. upon receiving a report of a shark attack nearby. After searching the area, police “located human remains in the water.”
Who Was Simon Nellist?
Local officials say Nellist was familiar with the area. He “came here and swam nearly every day,” Maroubra MP Michael Daley said on Thursday, according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
Although he was living in Australia at the time of the attack, Nellist was British and a former member of the Royal Air Force, per the Sydney Morning Herald. He was also engaged to be married.
Following his death, Nellist was remembered by friends and loved ones.